Saturday, February 27, 2010

Storm in a Tea Cup - Sensational Journalism at its height!

I had my bitter taste of Sensational Journalism recently, when my interview was published in the renowned Malayalam Weekly, Mathrubhumi.

It all started with a long interview by K.B.Venu for the Kodak IMAGES Magazine Issue 4, 2009.
Please click on the image to see it in full size and read the articles.


Kodak IMAGES Cover Page

Page 2


Page 3

Page 4


Page 5


When K.B Venu requested that the interview be translated into Malayalam to be published in the Mathrubhumi Weekly for wider readership, I readily agreed to his suggestion.


Mathrubhumi Interview - Page 1

Page 2


Page 3



Page 4


Page 5

Page 6

Page 7

Page 8


But all of a sudden a four page tirade against me appeared a few weeks later in the Mathrubhumi Weekly written by K.P.Nirmal Kumar, said to be a short story writer. Many who read the article called me over the phone to enquire whether I had any previous personal enmity with him, because there was so much venom in his words! Infact I had never met him nor known him in my life!! I was really surprised by the fact that a reputed weekly like Mathrubhumi had given him a space of four pages for him to launch his attack entitled " Doesn't Ramachandra Babu know these people?"


K.P.Nirmal Kumar's article


Page 2

Page 3

Page 4


M.K.Hari Kumar who writes the literary column AKSHARA JALAKAM /1793 in Kala Kaumudi weekly wrote a scathing remark, condemning the un-warrented personal attack on me by K.P.Nirmal Kumar. I thank him for his righteousness.

Kala Kaumudi - AKSHARA JALAKAM

Interestingly K.P.Nirmal Kumar had made this remark in Facebook -

" I read Hari's column with utmost interest, even if occasionally hurts my ego. He sure can demolish established beliefs with a sharp observation, not laboriously made."
February 4 at 4:58pm · 2010



Though K.B. Venu and many of my friends like Cinematographer Sunny Joseph, Script writer Anil Mugathala responded with their reaction to Mathrubhumi Weekly, they were not published. However my rejoinder was published in the Feb 14, 2010 issue.


Mathrubhumi - My Reply

P.S

Mr.K.P.Nirmal Kumar had later on sent me a message on Facebook saying that he had no intention of hurting me and that he wrote on camera artists as a layman.( Because it was a personal message I am not disclosing the full details!)

1 comment:

  1. Sir
    I think Mr.KP NirmalKumar was actually getting into fame though your shadow!!.I have read his remarks and felt him of a Egomaniac!Dont worry, we have the images you framed enough to give up his blabbers!!

    ReplyDelete